The first Protestant service was held at
Vienna in July 1830 (located at the railroad tracks crossing Vienna Rd. in Erie, Michigan) in the home of John Rowe conducted by Rev. Gavit, assisted by Rev. Pilcher from Maumee Ohio. They were part of the Ohio Methodist Conference and were Circuit Riders who rode horse back through the areas consisting of LaSalle, Monroe, Ypsilanti, Adrian and other stops along the way. They were a hardy group who were exposed to hostile Indians and all kinds of natural problems. Without faith and persistence, we may not be here today.
The First Presbyterian Church was organized on September 9, 1849, in the Village of Erie with 13 charter members. The present church building, built in 1887, continues to provide worship, fellowship, and opportunities for mission. The digging of the basement and dining room took 7 years and completed in 1917. In 1953 an addition was built on the back of the church giving the church an office, choir room and Sunday School rooms. We joined the Maumee Valley Presbytery in 1952. In 2009 we celebrated our 160th anniversary. God’s presence and our legacy of spirit and dedication are a precious heritage passed down through many generations.